Reporting a Claim
Need to file a claim? You can file your Commercial Auto or Garage Auto insurance claim by contacting your Agent, one of ERIE's branch offices or you can file it online. After you’ve reported the loss, the following steps will take place.
- The loss report is assigned a claim number and assigned to a claims handler.
- A simple Commercial Auto or Garage Auto insurance loss, such as deer damage or a chipped windshield is assigned to a claims facilitator or inside claims adjuster. Communications with the claims handler are conducted by phone or by mail and can usually be settled quickly.
- A complex auto insurance loss, involving other parties, injuries or more severe property damage, is assigned to a liability claim handler. This employee checks for insurance coverage and may assign the vehicle damages to a material damage adjuster or a heavy equipment specialist. A medical management specialist may also work on your claim if the accident involved injuries to covered parties.
- After the claim is initiated, the claims handler will check on the progress of claim and make every effort to efficiently complete the process. Some claims can be settled quickly. Others – especially those involving injuries or litigation – may take longer.
Keeping Track of the Details
To help stay organized and involved, you may want to maintain a file regarding your Commercial Auto or Garage Auto insurance claim/loss that includes the following:
- Customer’s name as it appears on the policy
- Policy number
- Claim number
- Claim handler or adjuster’s name, mailing address, phone number and title
- Estimates, correspondence and notes of phone conversations regarding the claims settlement
Keep this file with you. Whenever you talk to your insurance claims handler, your documentation will help ensure the claim is processed in a timely, accurate manner.
Still have questions? Contact your ERIE Agent.