ERIE Builds Homes for Habitat for Humanity
Rochester Branch Employees who came out in the rain to support Habitat for Humanity were (from left to right): Richard Dormeyer, Belinda Pratt, Judy Nugent, Len Freitas, Mary Beth Reynolds, Bryon Zablotny, Elaine Nebel, Earl Frech, Tom Ingrassia, Skip Critcher, Steve Backo, and Dan DeLuke.
May 10, 2012 - Erie Insurance is collaborating with Habitat for Humanity to help the dream of home ownership come true across the company's 11-state territory.
With a $125,000 gift from ERIE to Habitat for Humanity, the company is sponsoring six homes in five states—Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Illinois and Tennessee. Employees will volunteer at the Habitat builds in these states as well as in Ohio and Wisconsin.
"As an insurance provider, we understand how much having a home means to people," said Erie Insurance President and CEO Terry Cavanaugh. "Together with our Employees and Agents, we're proud to support Habitat for Humanity with funding and volunteers to help create safe housing for deserving families."
In Maryland, construction on “House that ERIE built” is expected to begin in the fall. Receiving $13,000 of the corporate gift, ERIE’s Silver Spring Branch rallied its Employees, Agents and business partners to raise a total of $100,000 for Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake. It was part of the office’s three-year fundraising campaign.
Some of the Habitat for Humanity activities taking place across ERIE’s territory include:
- New York: The Flower City Habitat for Humanity (FCHH) was the first to break ground on a three-bedroom home in Rochester, N.Y., on March 15. ERIE is the lead sponsor of the home, along with The University of Rochester Habitat Chapter and Flower City Habitat Young Professionals.
- Tennessee: Dan Zdunski, vice president and branch manager, led ERIE’s team during the weekend build on March 17-18 for the Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity. ERIE Employees will also be working on a home for the Habitat for Humanity in Knoxville.
- North Carolina: ERIE’s Raleigh Branch got to work on a home for Habitat for Humanity of Wake County in late March. Volunteers will be back at the construction site over the summer.
- Illinois: Employees kicked off the opening ceremonies for Greater Peoria Habitat for Humanity’s build on April 28
- Ohio: Although not built as a result of the corporate gift, Employees in the Canton Branch supported the construction of a seventh Habitat for Humanity home for a veteran in April. Columbus Employees plan to volunteer to help Habitat in their community, too.
- Wisconsin: A recently formed partnership with the Habitat for Humanity of Waukesha County will enable Employees in Wisconsin to help build a Habitat home this June.
Refer to the news section
of the Erie Insurance Giving Network Web site
for more information about the company’s community outreach activities.