Five Simple Ways to Stay Safer on the Road
In addition to avoiding the most common driving distractions, take extra precautions to avoid cell phone distractions:
- Let it roll. Incoming calls to voice mail, that is.
- Do it later. If someone calls you while they’re driving, ask them to call you back later and hang up.
- Pull over. If you must talk or text, pull off the road first.
- Lead by example. If you want your children to drive safely, show them how it’s done. A Consumer Reports survey found that almost half (48 percent) of young drivers had seen their mom or dad talking on a cell phone while driving, and 15 percent saw their parents texting.
- Know your state’s driving laws. Several states have banned texting while driving. Distraction.gov lists the laws for individual states.