It’s safe to say that many people’s biggest asset is their home. That’s why it’s so important to have the right homeowners insurance for it.
It also helps to know the most common causes of homeowners claims. Here are the top five causes of homeowners insurance claims at Erie Insurance along with tips on how to avoid problems caused by each one.
1. Hail Even small pieces of hail can cause big damage. Learn more about hail and how insurance covers hail damage.
- What is hail and how is it formed?
- When and where is hail most common?
- How can insurance cover hail damage?
- How do I avoid hail insurance fraud?
- What to look for after a hail storm?
2. Wind Heavy winds, tornadoes, hurricanes--wind is one of the most destructive forces on earth. Find out how you can prepare for wind-related weather events.
3. Water Whether it’s from a natural source like a lake or river or from a pipe in your wall, water has the potential to cause a lot of damage. Learn about the ways water can soak your home and how you can prevent it from happening.
- 5 sneaky sources of water leaks
- 6 ways to prevent home water damage
- Preventing frozen water pipes
- Do I really need to buy flood insurance?
- How to protect your home from heavy rain
4. Fire Fires have many causes. Get the top tips to protect your home from this threat.
- The 10 Commandments of candle safety
- How to build a safe fire
- How to prevent a dryer fire
- Protect yourself from home fires
5. Weight of ice and snow on roofs Winter can wreak havoc on roofs. Fortunately, there are ways to protect yours.
- How to protect your home from melting snow
- Protect your roof from heavy snow
- How to help your home recover from winter