Skip to main content

On the Move

Whether you’re moving from an apartment to a home or whether you’re packing up to move across town or across state lines, there’s a lot to know and plan before you move. Rest easy knowing we’re right there with you as you pack your things. We sat down with Natalie Adiutori, product development manager, Home Products, to help you start the move off on the right foot.

When should I let my ERIE Agent know I’m moving?

Loop your Agent in as soon as possible when you know you’re moving (try to give as much notice as possible). Your Agent will help make sure you’re covered depending on where you’re moving…down the street, across the state or to a new state within the ERIE footprint (ERIE is licensed in 12 states and the District of Columbia). You and your Agent can work together to determine what works best for your new location and insurance needs.

Looking for peace of mind? Look no further. Get an auto insurance quote today.

You’ll also want to discuss your insurance options if this is the first time you’re buying a home. As you can imagine, a renters policy is different from a homeowners policy. Your Agent will talk you through your coverage options and help you choose a policy that best fits your home and life.

Does my homeowners insurance cover me during the move?

The short answer: Yes. Your ERIE policy will cover you during the move. Many moving companies offer insurance, but it’s usually not necessary to purchase an additional policy. Talk to your Agent about the dates you are moving from one location to another to make sure there isn’t a gap between your old and new policies. (Keep in mind that your homeowners or renters deductible will still apply and that there are limits for certain kinds of misplaced, lost or stolen personal property, like jewelry, trading cards and more.) Coverage for your items will depend on whether you have named or comprehensive perils coverage for your personal property.

If you’ve sold your home and have to move in with friends or relatives for a while, there may be coverage in place under the relative’s policy for the short term.*

When do I cancel my previous policy?

This will be different for every situation (and your Agent can help with this). If you’re transitioning from renter to homeowner, your homeowners coverage will usually begin the day you close on your house. If you’re going from home to home, then some additional factors come into play.

Hopefully you were able to sell your previous home before your closing date on your new house. However, things don’t always align perfectly. Make sure to talk to your Agent about coverage for your old home until it sells.

How will I know that I have enough insurance for my new home?

You and your Agent can walk through your new home together to make sure you have enough coverage. You should take inventory of your belongings and document your home on paper or electronically by taking photos or video. Your Agent will be able to provide guidance on the important items to include.

Moving is a big deal and we’re ready to help. You can check one less worry off your list when you visit your ERIE Agent. He or she will guide you through the insurance purchase process and go over possible discounts and coverages you may want to consider for your new home. Your Agent can also discuss the potential need for flood insurance depending on where you live (flood insurance isn’t included in a homeowners policy).

We’re ready to make sure you feel right at home as soon as possible. Make sure to check in with your ERIE Agent to evaluate your policy as soon as you can before your move, so you can be on your way to make your space yours. *Your homeowners policy provides 10% of the personal property coverage but not less than $2,000 for personal property. Items stored at a residence would be covered up to 10% of the coverage limit.

ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York).  The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.

The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time. 

Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions. 

The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states.  ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York.  ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York.  ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York. 

Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.

Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.