Your website is a valuable digital asset for your business, so it’s only natural that you’ll want to do all that you can to optimize your site. Search engine optimization (SEO) can help ensure your site is picked up by major search engines like Google and Bing, but it’s an ongoing process with lots of different parts. By taking small steps and continuing to work on them consistently, good things are bound to happen.
To give you a hand, we asked our in-house SEO professionals at Erie Insurance about the latest strategies and guidance that they provide to our own network of insurance agents. ERIE agents are licensed sales advisors and small business owners looking to boost traffic to their websites, too.
Here’s the summary of tips that any business owner could use to nudge their SEO efforts forward.
1. Confirm your business listings are consistent across the web.
Whether you have one location or several, make sure your business contact information is correct online. Claim your business listing on search engines and other directory websites like Yelp or Yellow Pages to ensure that your data is accurate. If you need support, local search vendors can help you find and fix incorrect or outdated listings.
2. Ensure your website accommodates mobile visitors.
Responsive web design lets a visitor do just about everything on a mobile device as they would a desktop. A site is designed to adjust based on the user’s screen size—mobile, tablet or desktop. As mobile-first indexing continues to roll out, which is a starting point for what Google indexes and a factor in how they determine rankings, it’s also important to feature identical content across all devices. Sites that offer different or limited content to mobile users may not rank as high in search results.
3. Don’t overlook website best practices, such as:
- Using enticing titlesand descriptions for all the pages on your site to better market your business and earn more clicks. If these details are not included, it’s a missed opportunity and a search engine will select content from your page to display.
- Developing a sitemap to help ensure all the pages of your site are visible to search engines. Without a standard or XML sitemap, search engines may not be able to find and index all of your web pages.
- Making sure your site loads when “www” precedes or is excluded from your domain name. In other words, when you enter a site address into a browser with or without “www,” you will end up in the same place. Some websites are configured to only work with one of these variations, which is not ideal for Google. It’s best to use “www resolve” to force all URLs to load consistently. Your web host could help you set this up.
- Writing good content that interests your target audience. Search engines tend to favor regularly updated websites that contain unique content that is highly relevant and useful to site visitors.
With these actionable pointers as part of your SEO practices, you’ll be well on your way to providing a good experience for searchers and search engines.
We can help, too
As your business changes or grows, it’s essential that your insurance program adjusts, too. A local Erie Insurance agent can provide you with invaluable advice to help you to secure the appropriate amount of coverage. Your agent could also provide you with tools to help you mitigate losses, so you can do what you can to avoid problems before they begin. For more information, get in touch with an ERIE agent.