Tip Sheet: Teen Drivers and Surge Protectors

Ask an Expert

Q: My teenage daughter is just about to get her permit. Do I add her to my insurance now or when she gets her license?

A:The quick answer to this is when she gets her license. A driver-in-training will not be directly added to your insurance, or affect your premium, until he or she is a fully-licensed driver.

But, we still want to know when your teen is just learning. When he or she gets a permit, we will add him or her to your policy as a “non-driver.” This ensures that ERIE will have the information we need in case your teen-with-permit is in an accident. Your premium will not go up at this point, but your child will be protected by your auto insurance.

We also want to meet with your teen. It’s an opportunity for your son or daughter to hear about the importance of safe driving from someone besides you. Plus, a young driver interview with an ERIE Agent may lead to an additional discount when your teen is fully licensed and added as a driver to your policy.

So, do you need to add your daughter to your policy when she gets her permit? Not formally. But please do give your ERIE Agent a call. We can help you transition from parenting a teen to parenting a teen driver.
—Dan Carper
Carper Insurance Associates
Blacksburg, Va.

Have a question for an insurance expert? Let us know. E-mail eriesense@erieinsurance.com or send us a letter.

Protect all your home appliances from extra electricity

Most people know to plug their computers into surge protectors. But how about the garage door? The dishwasher?

Own a business? ERIE can provide Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) coverage to keep your company—whether small or large—protected from the same surges.

Electric surges that come from downed utility lines, lightning strikes or even malfunctions inside your home can damage more than your PC. According to the Underwriter’s Laboratory, power surges can permanently damage televisions, fax machines and any home appliances that contain microprocessors and sensitive electronic components.

Most homeowners’ policies protect you financially from these surges, but there are steps you can take to prevent the damage from ever happening, like contracting a licensed electrician to install a whole-house surge suppressor. These are installed near your meter or service panel and must be installed by a professional. Once installed, they can limit the damage done by any power surge and protect all of your appliances.

Have questions about a new driver in the family? How about extra electrical protection for your home? This tip sheet can help you out. /blog/teen-drivers-surge-protectors Erie Insurance