Equipment breakdown insurance, sometimes referred to as boiler and machinery insurance, covers the costly physical and financial damage that can result from an equipment breakdown.*
With an Ultrapack PlusSM policy, equipment breakdown insurance can pay for:
- Direct property loss to cover the cost to repair or replace damaged equipment
- Lost business income and costs for temporary replacement equipment
- Other expenses incurred to limit the loss or speed restoration of operations
- The loss value of spoiled products or materials caused by a covered breakdown
- Business recovery expense
You should pay particular attention to this specialty coverage that ERIE provides because other standard property forms typically exclude the very losses that equipment breakdown insurance is designed to cover:
- Mechanical breakdown
- Electrical arcing
- Artificially generated electrical currents
- Centrifugal force
- Boiler overheating, cracking, bulging, sagging
- Bulging, cracking or collapse of pressure vessels, such as water heaters, compressed air tanks, steam cookers and kettles, expansion tanks and condensate return tanks.
The policy covers different kinds of equipment, such as:
- Boilers, pressure vessels and water heaters
- Electrical distribution systems
- Heating and cooling systems
- Refrigeration (including lost refrigerant)
- Production equipment
- Office equipment
- Computer technology
- Computer controlled machines, such as CNC machines and robotics
- Communications systems, including phone and voice-mail systems
- Security and fire detection systems
- Ovens, stoves and furnaces
- Elevators, escalators, cranes, hoists and lifts
- Cash registers and inventory control systems
- Diagnostic equipment
Services for Your Business
ERIE also provides services to help you meet local inspection requirements and get back into business if you do experience a breakdown. These include:
- Jurisdictional inspections of boilers and pressure vessels - Required by nearly all states and municipalities.
- Loss prevention - Designed to help you improve equipment operations and maintenance programs to prevent losses that can impair production or service capabilities.
- Claims service - To help you more swiftly restore your business operations following a breakdown.
Contact a local Erie Insurance Agent for more information about mechanical and breakdown coverage.
*See individual policies for specific details of coverages. Certain terms and limitations apply. Refer to our disclaimer.