Reporting a Claim
Need to file a claim? You can file a homeowners insurance claim by contacting your Agent, one of ERIE's branch offices or you can file it online. After you’ve reported the loss, the following steps will take place.
- The loss report is assigned a claim number and assigned to a claims handler.
- A property adjuster will contact you to confirm the facts of the loss. This may include an inspection of the damaged property. The adjuster will then determine if coverage applies, and, if so, evaluate the damages.
- After the claim is initiated, the adjuster or claims handler will check on the progress of the claim and make every effort to efficiently complete the process. Some claims can be settled quickly. Others – especially those involving severe damages – may take longer.
Keeping Track of the Details
To help stay organized and involved, you may want to maintain a file regarding your homeowners insurance claim/loss that includes the following:
- Customer’s name as it appears on the policy
- Policy number
- Claim number
- Claim handler or adjuster’s name, mailing address, phone number and title
- Estimates, correspondence and notes of phone conversations regarding the claims settlement
Keep this file with you. Wherever you talk to your homeowners insurance claims handler or adjuster – at home or at work – your documentation will help ensure the claim is processed in a timely, accurate manner.
Still have questions? Contact your ERIE Agent.