Facts and Stats
- Serves 12 states— Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin—and the District of Columbia.
- Was founded in 1925 by H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford.
- Has more than 6 million policies in force for auto, home and business insurance.
- Works with more than 13,000 independent insurance agents.
- Employs over 6,000 employees who work at the company’s Home Office in Erie, Pa., and in the field offices. The Home Office alone employs more than 3,000 people.
Erie Insurance Group is:
- The 15th largest property/casualty insurer in the United States based on total lines net premiums written (Best’s Aggregates and Averages Property/Casualty 2021).
- The 13th largest auto insurer and 12th largest home insurer in the country based on direct premiums written (Best’s Insurance Reports 2021).
- The 13th largest business insurer in the country based on direct premiums written, commercial multi-peril writers (Best's Insurance Reports 2021).
- Erie Insurance Group ranks 347th on the FORTUNE 500® list. The list ranks the largest American companies based on total revenue.
- ERIE’s property/casualty companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, a global credit rating agency with a unique focus on the insurance industry. Best's Financial Strength Rating is an independent opinion of an insurer's financial strength and ability to meet its ongoing insurance policy and contract obligations.
- The Erie Family Life Insurance Company is rated A (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
We’ve been recognized for outstanding business performance and service many times over the years.