FACTS AND STATS
- Serves 12 states— Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin—and the District of Columbia.
- Was founded in 1925 by H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford.
- Has more than 5.8 million policies in force for auto, home and business insurance.
- Has more than 339,000 life, annuity and disability income policies in force.
- Works with more than 12,400 independent insurance agents.
- Employs over 5,300 employees who work at the company’s Home Office in Erie, Pa., and in the field offices. The Home Office alone employs more than 3,000 people.
Erie Insurance Group is:
- The 17th largest property/casualty insurance group based on policyholder surplus (Best’s Aggregates and Averages Property/Casualty 2016).
- The 15th largest property/casualty insurer in the United States based on total lines net premiums written (Best’s Aggregates and Averages Property/Casualty 2016).
- The 11th largest auto insurer and 10th largest home insurer in the country based on direct premiums written (Best’s Insurance Reports 2017).
- The 2nd largest auto insurer in Pennsylvania (A.M. Best).
- Erie Insurance Group ranks on the FORTUNE 500® list. The list ranks the largest American companies based on total revenue.
- Erie Family Life ranks as the 138th largest life insurance company based on admitted assets (Best’s Review 2017).
- Erie Family Life is the 23rd largest life insurance company based on net premiums (Best’s Insurance Reports 2017).
- ERIE’s property/casualty companies are rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, a global credit rating agency with a unique focus on the insurance industry. Best's Financial Strength Rating is an independent opinion of an insurer's financial strength and ability to meet its ongoing insurance policy and contract obligations.
- The Erie Family Life Insurance Company is rated A (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
We’ve been recognized for outstanding business performance and service many times over the years.
View our recent awards and honors