Minimize the risk of a thief obtaining your Social Security number by following these simple tips:
- Don't carry your Social Security card in your wallet/purse.
- Don't pre-print your Social Security number or telephone number on your checks.
- Do not include your Social Security number on your Driver's License if you live in a state that allows this option. (Check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles.)
- Avoid carrying cards (such as health insurance cards) that contain your Social Security number.
- Ask anyone who requests to see your Social Security number why they need it and how they plan to use it.
- Don't post your Social Security number in e-mails, text messages or chat rooms. Only provide personal information and apply for online accounts on secure Web sites that start with https:// and include a locked padlock icon.
Refer to the Social Security Administration website for additional information on identity theft.