Skip to main content

You Love It, We Insure It: Motorcycles, ATVs, Campers and More

Maybe it's the motorcycle that's been sitting silent all winter. Or the RV in storage, or perhaps even a shiny new boat. Whatever it is, now is the time to take out your favorite "toy."

When you do, it pays to think about how to protect it from accidents, bad weather and more.

"Most of these toys can be added to your auto policy," says Jon Bloom, vice president of personal auto at Erie Insurance. "We make it easy for you to get the coverage you need."

Read on for details about how your ERIE policy can cover each one. (Want a free quote? Your local ERIE agent would be happy to help!)


Related reading: Off-road vehicle insurance from ERIE

If you like to explore the great outdoors on an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), it's a good idea to add yours to your existing auto policy. The good news is that ERIE has a 12-month policy but factors in seasonal usage. This means you get year-round coverage at a better rate, since you probably only ride your ATV at certain times of the year. To qualify for this coverage, anyone who drives your ATV must be of legal driving age.

ERIE offers coverage for other miscellaneous vehicles, too, including snowmobiles, off-road motorcycles, trail bikes and mopeds1.

Campers, RVs and Trailers

Related reading: RV insurance from ERIE

When it comes to RVs, campers and trailers: Coverage works a little differently depending on what kind of rig you have.

  • Towable RVs and nonmotorized campers: For towable RVs covered by Erie Insurance, the liability coverage on the insured vehicle pulling the trailer extends to the towable RV itself.2 That said, it's recommended to protect your wheels by adding a camper or trailer to an existing auto policy. It gives your camper or trailer liability coverage when you're towing it, and optional coverage is also available to protect it from accidents, hail damage, vandalism and more.
  • Motorized RVs: Generally speaking, you'll need to purchase separate liability coverage for this vehicle. RV insurance from ERIE, which can be added to your auto policy, can protect your motorized RV with the same coverages as the vehicles on your auto policy.

With both motorized and towable RVs, you'll most likely want to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage; it may even be required by your lienholder. This can protect you when your RV is parked or when it's in storage. Other coverages to consider are Emergency Roadside Service, Rental Car Expense Coverage and an umbrella policy, all of which give you added layers of protection.

Bonus advice: If it's your first time towing a trailer, we have some tips to share with you.


Related reading: Motorcycle Insurance from ERIE

Ready to ride? ERIE's motorcycle coverage3 not only covers your bike, it also comes with built-in coverage for damage to custom equipment and accessories, gear and safety riding apparel. And our motorcycle insurance rates remain competitive with coverage options for your gear and upgrades.

Insuring your motorcycle with ERIE means:

  • Your gear and safety apparel are covered (including your helmet, riding boots and even protective eyewear)4
  • Your special touches are covered, too (like custom paint, chrome, saddlebags and more)
  • Medical coverage can also help pay your covered medical expenses (ask your agent how to add this to your policy)
  • You can choose to add roadside assistance, should your bike ever leave you stranded (believe us; it's worth the small cost)
  • You get a 12-month policy that protects your ride all year long

If you already have ERIE auto insurance, it's easy to add your motorcycle to your existing auto policy.5 You'll get the convenience of one policy and one bill, with fewer worries.

Golf Carts

Related reading: Insurance for miscellaneous vehicles from ERIE

From avid putters to people looking for a way to get around, golf carts can come in handy. If you have one, you have liability coverage for it wherever it goes through your ERIE homeowners policy. However, physical damage is covered only when you use it to service your property. If you plan to drive it off your property, consider getting extra physical damage coverage.


Related reading: Boat insurance from ERIE

Your boat is a big investment – and an ERIE homeowners policy only provides limited coverage for watercraft. It's worth looking into a standalone boat insurance policy.

The type of boat insurance you need will depend on a number of things, such as the size, type, age and value of your boat.

Our Boat Protector6 policy can cover inboard or outboard motorboats, sailboats, houseboats and personal watercraft (like Jet Skis, WaveRunners or WaveJammers). This policy provides liability coverage that kicks in if you were to injure someone or their property while using watercraft covered by the policy. Physical damage coverage is also under your boat policy, so your boat and boating equipment (like the trailer or outboard motor) are covered if damaged while being transported or during your sailing adventures. Your local ERIE agent can explain what coverage is available and help you find the right fit.

Protection You Can Count on Year-Round

Peace of mind is a beautiful thing. When you're out exploring and adventuring, enjoy the convenience of using one insurance company to protect what matters most to you.

Protect your toys by contacting your Erie Insurance agent. They'll help you get the right coverage so you can enjoy your toys all season long.

  • 1

    Coverage of owned miscellaneous vehicles is not automatic. Miscellaneous vehicles can be added to the auto policy only if all drivers meet current underwriting requirements and all operators are of driving age.

  • 2

    ERIE only provides coverage for temporarily located recreational camping vehicles with a valid and current motor vehicle registration at the time of loss. Motor homes can be insured on an ERIE personal lines auto policy, except in North Carolina where they must be written on a commercial auto policy.

  • 3

    Not available in New York and North Carolina. Medical payments coverage is available in North Carolina. See individual policies for specific coverage details. Certain terms and limitations may apply. Refer to our disclaimer for additional information.

  • 4

    The coverage limit is $3,000 ($1,000 in NC). You have the option to increase coverage to exceed the standard limit. An additional premium would be required.

  • 5

    Not all auto coverages apply to motorcycles endorsed onto an ERIE auto policy. Contact a local ERIE agent for more information.

  • 6

    ERIE's Boat Protector Policy is not available in Kentucky.

ERIE® insurance products and services are provided by one or more of the following insurers: Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance Company, Erie Insurance Property & Casualty Company, Flagship City Insurance Company and Erie Family Life Insurance Company (home offices: Erie, Pennsylvania) or Erie Insurance Company of New York (home office: Rochester, New York).  The companies within the Erie Insurance Group are not licensed to operate in all states. Refer to the company licensure and states of operation information.

The insurance products and rates, if applicable, described in this blog are in effect as of July 2022 and may be changed at any time. 

Insurance products are subject to terms, conditions and exclusions not described in this blog. The policy contains the specific details of the coverages, terms, conditions and exclusions. 

The insurance products and services described in this blog are not offered in all states.  ERIE life insurance and annuity products are not available in New York.  ERIE Medicare supplement products are not available in the District of Columbia or New York.  ERIE long term care products are not available in the District of Columbia and New York. 

Eligibility will be determined at the time of application based upon applicable underwriting guidelines and rules in effect at that time.

Your ERIE agent can offer you practical guidance and answer questions you may have before you buy.