When our Founders H.O. Hirt and O.G. Crawford started an insurance exchange in 1925, they turned to the Golden Rule as a guiding principle and it continues to influence us today. Through the decades, fairness and integrity continue to guide both our behavior and our organizational policies and practices. Our inclusive environment makes it possible for all employees to make the most of the opportunities. We believe that when each of us contributes our best, we uphold ERIE's values and support our ability to grow our talent and our business.
Diversity & Inclusion in Action at ERIE
Treating others with dignity and respect has been at the heart of ERIE’s values for nearly a century, and Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) has been a formal department at ERIE for more than a decade. The D&I team is dedicated to fostering inclusive and equitable practices in our workplace and in our business. We celebrate and support the unique qualities of every employee, agent and customer through various programs at ERIE.
- More than 90 percent of ERIE employees have completed D&I Awareness Training and all new employees complete the training during orientation.
- President and CEO Tim NeCastro was one of more than 900 leaders from 85 industries to sign the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion pledge in 2017. As part of the pledge, we implemented unconscious bias training for 100 hiring managers and are among just 100 companies across the country to appoint an employee to the CEO Action for Racial Equity Fellowship Program, working to address systemic racism and social injustice through public policy.
- Eight Employee Affinity Networks provide a platform for Employees to celebrate, educate and build acceptance for various dimensions of diversity, including:
- African American
- Asian Pacific
- Dignity & Respect
- enABLEd (neurodiversity)
- Generation Connection
- Pride Alliance
- Four Employee Resource Groups help address ERIE’s business opportunities through a D&I lens, such as the launch of our Diversity Production Loan Program, which provides forgivable loans to ERIE agents to grow diversity in their agency force or customer base.
- The D&I Leadership Council, made up of executive and senior leaders, works to implement impactful initiatives, programs, policies and processes that ensure and protect a diverse and even more inclusive workplace.
- The D&I Champion Program aims to raise the cultural competency of employees, encouraging them to explore their understanding of diversity and inclusion and how this knowledge can contribute to making ERIE a great place to work.
We’re honored to earn the recognition of several organizations, including being named a top insurance company by Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine and Professional Women's Magazine.
ERIE has ranked highly for several years on the Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmark on corporate policies and practices related to LGBT workplace equality. The Human Rights Campaign Foundation administers the index.
For ERIE, all of these milestones are a part of our diversity and inclusion journey. We know that by committing to this work, we’ll have teams that have a greater understanding of people who touch their lives and they will be able to think more creatively to address the business challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
Erie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer.