Auto Insurance Support

Here are answers to commonly asked questions about our auto insurance coverage. Get in touch with your local Erie Insurance agent for more information.

How do I start a claim?

We’re here to help. Learn more about how to start your auto claim.

When is the cost of my rental car covered?

If you have purchased Comprehensive Coverage on your vehicle, the cost of a rental car is covered in the event of a covered Comprehensive loss. This coverage is $20 per day/$900 per loss. The Virginia coverage limit is $600 per loss. The North Carolina policy only provides this coverage when the vehicle is stolen; $15 per day/$450 per loss is included. Higher limits are available for an additional charge.

If you have purchased collision coverage on your vehicle, you may purchase Transportation Expense Coverage at limits starting at $15 per day/$450 per loss in North Carolina and $20 per day/$900 per loss in most other states. Virginia provides $600 in collision rental coverage at no charge. Higher limits are available.

Is emergency road service covered by my policy?

Emergency Road Service is an optional coverage that may be added to your auto policy. If your car is disabled, ERIE will pay reasonable towing and required labor cost at the site of the breakdown. Contact the provider of your choice and then submit the bills for reimbursement.

How can I get a copy of my auto policy?

You may contact our Customer Care team at (800) 458-0811 or your local ERIE agent to get a copy of your auto policy. You can also set up an account to view a summary of your auto policy. Learn more about how to log in.  

How do I add a vehicle to an existing policy? Can I verify that I am covered?

You should contact your ERIE agent on the next business day after acquiring your vehicle to make any changes to your auto insurance policy. If you need to verify your coverage during or after normal business hours, contact Customer Care at 1-800-458-0811 between 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

An ERIE auto insurance policy provides automatic coverage for additional and replacement vehicles. For liability, the policyholder must notify ERIE during the policy period. For comprehensive and collision, the lowest deductible applies. If no comprehensive and/or collision coverage, the policyholder has 7 days of coverage with a $500 deductible.

How can I get an updated insurance identification card/Canada nonresident insurance card?

Your Erie Insurance agent can provide you with these documents. Use the Agent Locator to find your agent’s current listing. You can also request either of these cards by contacting Customer Care online or by calling 1-800-458-0811 between 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

What is the difference between collision and comprehensive coverage?

Collision coverage applies to losses that result from a collision with another vehicle or object. It also includes damages caused by uninsured motorists and hit-and-run drivers. Comprehensive coverage is for losses caused by fire, theft and contact with animals, like hitting a deer. Damage to your windshield is also covered under comprehensive coverage.

Am I covered if I rent a car overseas?

No. Your auto coverage applies to accidents or losses that occur during the policy period in the United States of America, its territories and possessions, Puerto Rico, Canada or between their ports. Coverage does not extend outside of these areas. However, in Mexico, collision coverage will apply to an owned auto if you have purchased it.

Will I pay more if I take my vehicle to college with me?

No, you won’t pay more. ERIE offers a college student discount if you decide to leave your vehicle home. To qualify for the discount, you must be single, be a full-time college student, live away from home during the school year and leave your vehicle at home. Get in touch a local agent for more information.

My child has just obtained his/her learner's permit. Do I have to add him/her to our auto policy?

In most cases, only after a driver has obtained his or her driver’s license will the driver be added to the auto policy.

Talk to an Agent
Still Need Help?
Contact ERIE