Skip to main content

Business Insurance Support

Business insurance claims: Am I covered? Will my rates go up? Will my business insurance be cancelled?

Unfortunately, we can’t answer these questions directly because there are so many factors that go into determining each answer, such as your policy coverage, claim history, loss type and the length of time you have been insured with Erie Insurance. It’s a good idea to discuss your concerns and other questions you may have about your claim with your agent. For more information, review the steps for starting a business insurance claim.

Does my business policy cover water damage?

It depends. Several of our business policies cover damage from ruptured plumbing. If however, water leaks into your business through the foundation, or because of a flood, the damage is not covered.

Does my business property policy cover damage caused by natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes?

Yes. Your policy will cover damage caused by some natural disasters. However, if floods occur because of the natural disaster, your business property policy will not cover the damage. Damage caused by floods is not covered by business property policies. Talk to your ERIE agent about obtaining a separate flood insurance policy. ERIE has partnered with American Bankers to offer this coverage to customers.

Are my company vehicles covered under my business property policy if a fire caused the loss?

No. Your business property policy won't cover damage to your vehicles. Your auto policy will cover damage to your vehicles.

What happens if my contractor or I find additional damage after my claim is settled?

Call your ERIE claims adjuster immediately. We may need to re-inspect the damage before the repairs are complete. If the additional damages were covered under the original claim, we would reopen your claim and work closely with you and your contractor to satisfactorily resolve the matter.

How can I get a copy of my policy?

You may contact our Customer Care Department at (800) 458-0811 or your local ERIE agent to get a copy of your business policy.

How could ERIE’s risk control consultants help my business?

A risk control consultant can help you evaluate the potential risks your business faces and then recommend measures you can take to help reduce those risks. Risk control consultants are located throughout our 12 states and the District of Columbia—so help is never far away.

How can I access ERIE’s risk management safety programs?

Working with an ERIE risk control consultant, ERIE business customers may have access to the following services:

  • A risk assessment of your operations to help you identify conditions that could harm your business.
  • A risk management service plan to help your business manage potential risks and implement procedures which may help to reduce expenses.
  • Safety programs with online templates to help you establish policies and procedures with support from Grainger Online SafetyManagerSM.
  • Assistance in creating a driving safety plan.
  • Training programs about workplace safety, including access to Comprehensive Loss Management Inc. (CLMI) for safety training or instructor-led videos.
  • Industrial hygiene and occupational health service to help you address health hazards like noise, dust, chemicals, heat, cold and more.
  • Disaster planning and recovery tools developed by the Insurance Institute for Home and Business Safety that you can rely on to help your business plan and bounce back after a severe weather or catastrophic event.

Get in touch with your ERIE agent for more information.

Talk to an agent

Still need help?

Contact ERIE